Skip to main content

Recovery

We were brought to Millie as she was being wheeled up to her recovery room. She looked beautiful. She's sort of been coming around but they have her on a medication through her IV that will prevent contractions that makes her very groggy. Her pain has been high, but they just adjusted her epidural and it seems to be a bit better. When she first heard my voice she tried to smile. She kept saying a word that we couldn't understand until one of the doctors realized she was saying, "Maggie, Maggie." We reassured her that Maggie was just fine. The next few hours/days/weeks are important as everything done is aimed at keeping Millie and Maggie stable and preventing preterm labor. I'm so proud of my dear wife. In her groggy state she still shows some of her spunk and sass. Her mom went and got a cookie and when she came back to tell me we heard a voice say, "whaa whaa, rub it in." That's our girl. The epidural is working better now, she's resting quietly.

Comments

  1. Tell Millie I'll have a whole batch full of cookies waiting for her when she gets home! This just melts my heart. Thank you, thank you for sharing this experience with us all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matt, I have been thinking of you and Millie (and Maggie) all day! Thanks for these awesome updates! I am so glad that everyone is doing well and will continue to pray for the 20/37!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad for these updates, Matt. You're so sweet writing about Mil. Glad to hear it's gone so well. Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So grateful things are going so well! We will continue to keep you all in our prayers! Give that girl a great big hug from me! Love, Steph

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so glad that everything went well. We will continue to pray for Millie and Maggie (and you too Bishop) :). I know it's hard to watch someone else go through all the pain of surgery.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for keeping us updated. We have been thinking about you guys all day! Im so glad everything has gone so well. You guys are in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much for the updates!!! I got on here after work for that purpose. Been thinking about you guys all day. I am so thankful everything is going well. I will still be watching for updates so I can email Dusty. I have not written his weekly letter yet so that I can let him know how things are going. He loves you guys so much and so do we!!! Give your sweet wife a hug from me:).

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad everything went well. You guys have been in my thoughts all day! Josie drew a picture today at school she wants to send. Let me know if there's a good place to send it. If not, I'll just send it home with her.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for posting all of the updates! I am so happy and relieved that everything went well! We'll continue praying. We love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That Millie - what a fighter! Such great news - so happy and relieved to hear everything is going good so far! Lots of prayers and love to all of you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

She's Here!

The c-section went beautifully, Maggie was delivered at 10:17. She's 6 lbs 13 oz and has a smattering of Davey's hair, my chin, Millie's voice, Kate's ears, and Josie's temperament. Her lungs seem pretty immature so she's in the Newborn ICU for now. Millie is back in her pre-op room and has not yet been able to really see Maggie. Immediately after delivering her the doctors whisked Maggie into the NICU in the adjoining room. I've been able to see her in there and have shown Millie the pictures. The lesion on her back looks good--it looks like a patch of skin covering what used to be the hole that was there. Her feet don't have any noticeable clubbing and she definitely has more sensation there than Davey did. We are so grateful that she is here.     Posted with Blogsy

New Look, New Outlook

Maggie's a little perplexed with her new accessory.  She does not like them and has cried a lot today.  Luckily, her developmental delay means she doesn't grab at objects, so the glasses stay put...bonus!  After picking up the glasses, we ran some errands.  Davey with his wheel chair, Josie with her bright lipstick that she's not supposed to wear in public, and now Maggie with her goggles. Get used to the stares.

Flippidy Floo Flah Folic

Last time I was at Shriners, one of the doctors asked if I had checked my folic acid levels after having Davey.  I responded that I'd never heard of anything like that and had not checked them.  The doctor then proceeded to say she had spoken with a geneticist about our family...two kids with spina bifida.  The geneticist said that I most likely don't metabolize folic acid properly, so that's why my last two children have spina bifida.  In summary, they thought that if I had checked my folic acid levels after Davey, I would have seen that something was wrong and could have prevented Maggie from having spina bifida.  As I listened to these burning words, I thought, "Do you know what you're saying?"  I turned away, bounced with Maggie, and wiped my tears. I'm often asked about folic acid.  It's an integral part of spina bifida prevention , and I should lecture about how everyone should take their folic pills.   But I'm not in t...