Skip to main content

Day Two

Millie's been out of surgery now for about 47 hours. She had a good night last night and has seen all three of the pediatric surgeons this morning. They all say she's doing just great. Today's a big day. They've already removed her epidural and she's started taking pain medication by mouth. She's experiencing a lot of pain and occasional mild contractions but she keeps enduring. Every contraction scares us, but the doctors reassure us that it's normal at this point because the uterus has been through so much. Millie had solid foods for breakfast and will need to get up later today for a shower. She faces every new challenge with her characteristic humor and courage.



Comments

  1. Millie you are seriously amazing!!! Thanks for all the great updates Matt - you are amazing too!! Love you guys!! Terelyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matt and Millie, we love you so much! The kids, Quang and I are keeping you in our thoughts. I even mobilized my work to contact EMI last week and I like to think it helped. Even my Dad texted to find out an update so we are all rooting for your family and are here for whatever you need.

    Abby

    ReplyDelete
  3. hooray for one less wire sticking out of your body! and double hooray for solid foods!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You guys are so sweet to share so much of your personal life! You are loved by so many. You are in our daily thoughts and prayers! Thank you for letting us all know how you are doing and how things are coming! We love and are amazed by your strength ! Love Ruth Wilkey

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

She's Here!

The c-section went beautifully, Maggie was delivered at 10:17. She's 6 lbs 13 oz and has a smattering of Davey's hair, my chin, Millie's voice, Kate's ears, and Josie's temperament. Her lungs seem pretty immature so she's in the Newborn ICU for now. Millie is back in her pre-op room and has not yet been able to really see Maggie. Immediately after delivering her the doctors whisked Maggie into the NICU in the adjoining room. I've been able to see her in there and have shown Millie the pictures. The lesion on her back looks good--it looks like a patch of skin covering what used to be the hole that was there. Her feet don't have any noticeable clubbing and she definitely has more sensation there than Davey did. We are so grateful that she is here.     Posted with Blogsy

New Look, New Outlook

Maggie's a little perplexed with her new accessory.  She does not like them and has cried a lot today.  Luckily, her developmental delay means she doesn't grab at objects, so the glasses stay put...bonus!  After picking up the glasses, we ran some errands.  Davey with his wheel chair, Josie with her bright lipstick that she's not supposed to wear in public, and now Maggie with her goggles. Get used to the stares.

Flippidy Floo Flah Folic

Last time I was at Shriners, one of the doctors asked if I had checked my folic acid levels after having Davey.  I responded that I'd never heard of anything like that and had not checked them.  The doctor then proceeded to say she had spoken with a geneticist about our family...two kids with spina bifida.  The geneticist said that I most likely don't metabolize folic acid properly, so that's why my last two children have spina bifida.  In summary, they thought that if I had checked my folic acid levels after Davey, I would have seen that something was wrong and could have prevented Maggie from having spina bifida.  As I listened to these burning words, I thought, "Do you know what you're saying?"  I turned away, bounced with Maggie, and wiped my tears. I'm often asked about folic acid.  It's an integral part of spina bifida prevention , and I should lecture about how everyone should take their folic pills.   But I'm not in t...