Skip to main content

Money Matters

So it's time we wrote about the dollars and sense.  All this news coverage is great.  We were the top story on the 5:00 news and got another shout-out at 10:00.  It's because of you and all your support on the message boards.  A big question has been about the money involved.  Countless people have suggested fundraising as a way to make this surgery happen.  Here are our thoughts.

The surgery costs approximately $120,000.  That's doable.  Let's have the 5Ks, pancake breakfasts, and lemonade stands.  Matt and I would do what every family does with medical debts, work hard and pay them off over time.  But if something were to happen, such as me being hospitalized for the rest of my pregnancy or the baby needing to be in NICU, those costs could be potentially devastating.  That's an unwise risk that Matt and I are not willing to take.  Remember, only 20% of moms do not have complications with the surgery.  If we get denied again, we cannot shop around at other hospitals hoping they will do the surgery.  It's too big of a risk for them also.  Believe me, we've asked.  Pro bono is not an option.  It's also not an option to go ahead with the surgery and ask for the insurance to pay up later since they've already denied it multiple times.  The hospital and doctors are not the bad guys in this situation.  Please, EMI, approve it tomorrow.  Don't make us agonize over the weekend and delay our scheduled surgery.  If I have to cancel our flights one more time....!!

That being said, my sister is the only one who can get Matt and me to budge on our "no fundraising policy".  Older sisters can do that.  So party at Del Taco this Saturday !  Lesa (my sister) and Ryan (my brother-in-law) own the Del Taco on 106th S. and Redwood Road in South Jordan.  They are donating 100% of the sales to this cause.  I'll be the pregnant lady with shrimp taco sauce dripping down my shirt.



The care package that was sent to us in Houston had a book of quotes in it.  Here's one that really touched us tonight.

When God wants a great work done in the world or a great wrong righted,
He goes about it in a very unusual way.
He doesn't stir up his earthquakes or send forth his thunderbolts.  
Instead, he has a helpless baby born, perhaps in a simple home
And of some obscure mother.
And then God puts this idea into the mother's heart, 
And she puts it into the baby's mind.  
And then God waits.

E.T. Sullivan

Comments

  1. Ah, I love hearing about the control I have in your life. Now, go to bed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this post...and your quote. Funny...Lesa has the same effect on me too..she can be so bossy. Love her! Thanks Lesa and Ryan for being amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that quote! THAT's exactly what is happening!

    I was getting my hair done in Sandy last night, and a client walks in, telling us all about this story she had seen on the news--and it was YOURS!! Made my heart smile to know that you are touching lives all around!

    Now, I'm just waiting for the words: THEY WILL BE COVERED!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, what a powerful quote Mil. It is so very true. This little baby girl of yours is already touching so many people's lives! I can't wait to get me some taco's tomorrow. Your sister is amazing, which doesn't surprise me since she is related to you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Millie - don't know if you remember us (we definitely remember you!) from BYU 171st. We are praying for you and your sweet family. Wish we were close enough to buy a ton of tacos tomorrow. So sorry you are struggling through this trial; we are all rooting for you!
    Much love,
    Dan and Leslie Newman

    ReplyDelete
  6. Millie, can Corey and I just donate money somewhere? Unfortunately, neither of us can eat at Del Taco because of the shrimp. Corey's deathly allergic to it and if I eat it and I'm around him, it can make him very sick.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anyone with shrimp allergies (Or doesn't live in Utah!) Here is a way to help

    https://www.everribbon.com/ribbon/view/6020

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Building a Utah Valley Parade of Home

Our home is complete (mostly), and we are thrilled!  It makes my heart flutter every time we pull up. This home is the fulfillment of a dream, full of beauty and accommodation.  Davey zooms up and down the ramps with freedom.  We all have our "favorite parts" of the home, and I can't narrow mine down to one.

The Parade of Homes is happening now, and every day I get questions from friends, family and strangers asking about the parade process and where we purchased things.  I'll answer some of them on the blog.  Keep in mind, this is just our experience.  I'm sure it is different for everyone.

Why did we build a parade home?  ·Some of the subcontractors offered a discount price because their products or work would be featured.  It doesn’t necessarily mean it is cheaper to build a parade home, but it is possible to get more for your money.  For example, appliances.  We wouldn’t normally buy Bosch appliances, but with parade discounts the fancier appliances were the …

Surgery and Nursery

Can't sleep.  Spina bifida does that sometimes!  On Tuesday Davey will have surgery at Shriners Hospital.  Some call the surgery a bilateral tibial rotational osteotomy.   I refer to it as fixing the feet forward.  Here's how he walks now.  See how he trips on his feet because they turn inward.  That's a result of being born with clubbed feet.  Hopefully in two months after his casts have been removed, his feet will face forward.   This is Davey's 8th surgery (I think).  It's difficult to know how he processes the thoughts of surgery.   He is most excited to have a slumber party with his dad at the hospital, and for his Papa from Texas to come and sword fight with him.  It's been a long time since Matt and I had one of our kiddos in an operating room...over a year.  I've appreciated the break and pray the doctors will have skill, wisdom, compassion and clarity as they care for my little boy.  
My heart is really heavy concerning Maggie.  Spina bifida does …

Cross-eyed Cuteness

Written by Matt.

We've had lots of appointments this week.

Thursday:  Millie and Maggie went to the Primary Children's in Riverton for an ultrasound on the kidneys and brain for Maggie.  Everything looked good. 
Friday:  Maggie's first follow up since her shunt surgery.  To us, she seems to be doing quite well except for her eyes crossing.  But as soon as the neurosurgeons saw Maggie, they said she needed to get an MRI.  He felt that it was urgent enough to do the scan that same day, but Millie was too sick to stay at the hospital and was lucky to drive home without crashing.  If you’ve never heard Millie crow up,  you’re missing out (it’s a mix between coughing and throwing up).  And we did an ultrasound on Davey's kidneys that day.  
Saturday:  The MRI.  Millie was still too sick to go to the hospital, so just Maggie and I went.  Maggie was charming as usual even on the required empty stomach and made instant friends with all the nurses and technicians.  I stayed wi…