Skip to main content

At The Moment

Josie was reluctant to go to school today.  Friday was her "worstest day ever" of kindergarten.  According to her account, nobody would play with her at recess.  "I would ask different girls but they said they wanted to play with somebody else."  Then on the bus ride home, a girl kept pulling her pigtails, sang a mean song making fun of her and yanked her backpack.  I asked Josie how she reacted.  Her response, "I just sat in the corner."   When Matt heard the story he said, "Nobody puts Josie in a corner."  Just like Patrick Swayze.  I think it's easier to say goodbye to a daughter being wheeled into an operating room than watch her venture into the great unknown of kindergarten.

Speaking of surgery, we are still in limbo for Maggie's surgery...ETV-CVF.  We are scheduled for this Thursday, but I'll meet with the neurosurgeon on Wednesday and reevaluate whether or not we should proceed.  We don't know what to do!  This little Mags responds to prayers and can work miracles.  Our hope has been that she wouldn't need the surgery, but her ventricles are gradually getting larger.  Although she is not showing many of the clinical signs that are often present with kids who need the surgery.  For example, her fontanelle (soft spot) is still soft.  She isn't puking or lethargic.   The only consistent symptom is her sunsetting eyes.  It is occurring more frequently throughout the day.  She has a difficult time eating and is irritable, but that could be due to all sorts of normal baby stuff.  She's been on Prevacid for ten days now, but we aren't noticing any change in her reflux.  Have any of you had a reflux baby that didn't respond to Prevacid?  How long does it take?

Real estate...otherwise known as my therapy.  It's great to get back to work.  I feel unsure of other parts of my life, like not knowing if my child is having surgery this week.  But work allows me to forget about the worries of family life and focus on something that I have control over, well most of the time.  I'd much rather stage a home or walk through listings than mop the floor.  

BYU football.  Our home has not been the same since Saturday night.  The tears continue to flow freely from Matt, or at least the disappointment, regret and amazement.  He will be able to move on eventually, it will just take time.  Please let us win on Thursday!  I don't think his heart can take another loss.

Update:  Josie had a great day at school today.  Other than I wasn't home when she walked in the door.  I was running late.  Naughty, naughty mom!


My lovely assistant.  This girl knows her stuff.  The other day she asked me if one of my listings was going to appraise for the contract price.  She also has an expert sense of home upgrades and style.

 The ladies.

 Mags sporting her sunset eyes.  Try doing it.  Matt and I can't without going cross-eyed.

Cascade Falls up American Fork Canyon.  Stroller accessible and beautiful!  

Davey refuses to have "spikey" or "to the side" hair.  So opinionated.


Comments

  1. My 2nd kid did not respond to Prevacid at all. The doctor put him on something else that helped a little better. We mostly suffered through his projectile vomiting and crankiness until he grew out of it. Sorry...

    Send Matt my deepest consolences on the loss. Nate is paying his gambling debts in a Utah shirt at work today. So shameful.

    My kindergartener hates school too. Wish we could hook them up so they'd both have a friend. :(

    Hang in there!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It took Luke a long time to respond to prevacid...maybe 1 month at least. I hope it works for her! It made our life so much better:) Everyone is looking so cute! Love the non-spikey, sideways hair. And you look beautiful!! I am always telling people I know the BEST real-estate agent EVER!! Good luck with Thursday if the surgery ends up happening...or even better, hope those eyes stop sunsetting and she she doesn't need surgery!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our prevacid baby was instantly better on her dose of medication. Not sure if that info helps you or not. Though it was super nice to have our Sara stop puking through her nose... :) Good luck to Kate at Kinder. Our Avery is super outgoing, so we tell her each day to find someone to be kind to. I hope someone will befriend our quiet Bethany when it is her turn for kindergarten, and I hope the same for Kate :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My kids have had horrible reflux and crankiness but don't respond to Prevacid because the reflux is caused by a milk protein allergy. If it still isn't helping, it is definitely worth it to try a milk elimination diet (if you are breastfeeding) or Nutramigen formula if she takes a bottle. It is a night and day difference for my kids. They are happy and sleep SOOO much better once I do it. I have a lot of great substitutions that make it is easy to do. Message me on facebook if you want more info. I hope all goes well for little Maggie and that they will find the best solution to help her out. Hang in there Millie! You are an amazing woman!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A few things... :) I've had 2 reflux babies and nothing worked but enfamil formula kind of helped Boston. I just told Maycee about poor Josie's bus experience and I'm npw determined to make buddies out of the two of them. What a cruel world! When we get back down there we'll need to get them together! You look great and tell Matt Go Cougars!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh! i'm so sorry josie had the worstest day ever! kids can be so mean! sending your sweet kids off into the cruel world of elementary school is so hard!
    i hope everything goes well with josies surgery... or she doesn't have it. either way it'll work out for the best.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey! How do you think, have your writting skills gone any better lately?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Shunt Happens

On Thursday night, I couldn't get rid of a nagging concern.  Maggie's eyes were sunsetting.  This is where the  eyes turn downward with the white showing above.  It wasn't constant, and she wasn't showing the typical signs associated with brain swelling.  But the Spirit just kept working at me, and I decided to call the neurosurgeon at Primary Childrens.  He wasn't too concerned and told me to come on Friday for spina bifida clinic.  Once there, the doctor thought it was nothing because Maggie's fontanelle (soft spot) was still soft and of course Maggie wasn't sunsetting for him.  But I didn't want to go to Houston next week until I knew for sure she was okay.  So he ordered a head ultrasound.  Sure enough, the ultrasound showed significant swelling in the ventricles of  her brain.  A shunt is needed. Poor Maggie. I hate to see her go through another surgery.  When I'm at the docs office and get bad news,  I try to act brave and wait until the car r

Curve Ball

Maggie is out of surgery. Things did not go as planned. As the doctor put it, "she threw us for several curve balls." We could not do the ETV. Once in her brain, he discovered that it would be too risky to proceed because of her anatomy. From what we remember, her pituitary was too close to an artery. As they were pulling out, a blood vessel burst. They had to get that bleeding under control before sewing up that side of her head and cutting open the opposite side for a shunt. That's when the neurosurgeon called us to tell us the disappointing news that the ETV wouldn't work. He said he'd come back to visit us in 45 minutes once the shunt was placed. We always knew this was a possibility, but were told her anatomy was "perfect" for the ETV. Guess you can't judge a book by its cover, even with an MRI. Shunt surgeries are common, and it is rare to have serious complications. But two agonizing hours later, we were told what happened. Duri

She's Here!

The c-section went beautifully, Maggie was delivered at 10:17. She's 6 lbs 13 oz and has a smattering of Davey's hair, my chin, Millie's voice, Kate's ears, and Josie's temperament. Her lungs seem pretty immature so she's in the Newborn ICU for now. Millie is back in her pre-op room and has not yet been able to really see Maggie. Immediately after delivering her the doctors whisked Maggie into the NICU in the adjoining room. I've been able to see her in there and have shown Millie the pictures. The lesion on her back looks good--it looks like a patch of skin covering what used to be the hole that was there. Her feet don't have any noticeable clubbing and she definitely has more sensation there than Davey did. We are so grateful that she is here.     Posted with Blogsy