Skip to main content

Tomorrow, You're Only a Day Away!

What a great Sunday! I'll skip to the best, most important news, Maggie is set to come home tomorrow.

The past few days have been wonderful as she's checked off her to-do list from the doctors. What a productive girl! The nurse told me today that the skin on her back has grown a centimeter. So that big yellowish area on her back is a patch that the neurosurgeon in Houston put on because he couldn't pull the skin tight enough. Opinions have differed, but I think the current consensus is that Maggie's skin will grow over and cover the patch. If her skin does not show sings of significant growth, they will do plastic surgery to close it. For now, we have a dressing that we put over it and change often. We cannot put any pressure on her back, so she lays on her side and will ride in a special carseat. In the NICU, a nurse is with her 24/7 to make sure she is positioned correctly. Not sure how Matt and I will swing it, but we've had to do that for Davey a couple times, so we'll figure it out.

My favorite moment was when the physical therapist evaluated her. Not only did Maggie feel all of her poking and prodding, but she wiggled each individual toe. My eyes filled with tears to see this miracle! 

Maggie is not able to fully empty her bladder, so we will start using a cathetar twice a day to prevent her urine from refluxing. Bladder/kidney issues are ever present with spina bifida. The nurses say that cathing is no big deal, but I tried it today and failed. I was sweating bullets as I tried to navigate her tiny anatomy. I have to pass it off tomorrow before they will release her to my care...yikes! Davey has not had to be cathed. His issue is that he goes and goes. But now that he is older, we'd like to get him out of diapers. This requires that he start taking a medication that will tighten the bladder muscle, so he can "hold it". Then we will cath him every 3-4 hours, so he will be socially continent. I'm sad with the thoughts of having to start this process. It seems like a loss of freedom to be tied to such a routine. But it has to be done and I think Davey's anatomy will be much easier!

For now, Maggie's ventricles and head size are looking good. The fluid on her brain is not causing pressure. We will continue to monitor it closely to make sure she doesn't need a shunt. 

Oh I can't wait for tomorrow!

Here's the link to the last news story. Glad the media footage is behind us. But I'm thankful for the experience.  http://kutv.com/news/top-stories/stories/vid_1528.shtml

Hours before saying hello to Maggie.

The lady crew.  What would I do without my mom and sis?!

The man crew.

 Love the warm blankets after giving birth...the best. 

Meeting her Hattie.
 

Maggie's other mothers, a sampling of the neighbors 
who helped so much the past few months.

Did he really just say that? 
 

I think Maggie looks most like Josie.

The crew!



Comments

  1. Hooray!!!!! I'd love to help with the caths if you need back up:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so happy for your family. Good luck having Maggie at home. Love the last picture of your beautiful children.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So happy for you guys!!!

    --Angee :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Millie We are so happy for you all! Maggie is very beautiful!! Have a wonderful time with Maggie when you get home!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Millie, I was a pediatric nurse for 14 years. I may be a little rusty but I would love to help with staying the night and making sure she stays on her side as well as with the Caths. So happy for all the great tender mercies for your little Maggie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay!! So excited you get to bring your sweet girl home!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay! Can't wait to meet her! Your family looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay! We are so excited that everything has gone well and Maggie gets to come home! So wonderful! What wonderful miracles have happened all along the way.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so happy that she is coming home! What a little miracle she is! Your family is in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks so much for the update, Millie! We loved the pictures and we are thrilled Maggie is doing so well. I loved the picture with all four of your children. What a beautiful family you have! We love and miss you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Shunt Happens

On Thursday night, I couldn't get rid of a nagging concern.  Maggie's eyes were sunsetting.  This is where the  eyes turn downward with the white showing above.  It wasn't constant, and she wasn't showing the typical signs associated with brain swelling.  But the Spirit just kept working at me, and I decided to call the neurosurgeon at Primary Childrens.  He wasn't too concerned and told me to come on Friday for spina bifida clinic.  Once there, the doctor thought it was nothing because Maggie's fontanelle (soft spot) was still soft and of course Maggie wasn't sunsetting for him.  But I didn't want to go to Houston next week until I knew for sure she was okay.  So he ordered a head ultrasound.  Sure enough, the ultrasound showed significant swelling in the ventricles of  her brain.  A shunt is needed. Poor Maggie. I hate to see her go through another surgery.  When I'm at the docs office and get bad news,  I try to act brave and wait until the car r

Curve Ball

Maggie is out of surgery. Things did not go as planned. As the doctor put it, "she threw us for several curve balls." We could not do the ETV. Once in her brain, he discovered that it would be too risky to proceed because of her anatomy. From what we remember, her pituitary was too close to an artery. As they were pulling out, a blood vessel burst. They had to get that bleeding under control before sewing up that side of her head and cutting open the opposite side for a shunt. That's when the neurosurgeon called us to tell us the disappointing news that the ETV wouldn't work. He said he'd come back to visit us in 45 minutes once the shunt was placed. We always knew this was a possibility, but were told her anatomy was "perfect" for the ETV. Guess you can't judge a book by its cover, even with an MRI. Shunt surgeries are common, and it is rare to have serious complications. But two agonizing hours later, we were told what happened. Duri

She's Here!

The c-section went beautifully, Maggie was delivered at 10:17. She's 6 lbs 13 oz and has a smattering of Davey's hair, my chin, Millie's voice, Kate's ears, and Josie's temperament. Her lungs seem pretty immature so she's in the Newborn ICU for now. Millie is back in her pre-op room and has not yet been able to really see Maggie. Immediately after delivering her the doctors whisked Maggie into the NICU in the adjoining room. I've been able to see her in there and have shown Millie the pictures. The lesion on her back looks good--it looks like a patch of skin covering what used to be the hole that was there. Her feet don't have any noticeable clubbing and she definitely has more sensation there than Davey did. We are so grateful that she is here.     Posted with Blogsy