Skip to main content

Cursed

Last year when I started to blog, I wrote a post ,"Should Have."   I feel the same way today.  I should be landing in Houston right now ready to begin our vacation.  For months, Kate, Maggie and I have looked forward to playing with family and visiting the doctors who performed Maggie's fetal surgery.  But just as I was zipping up the final piece of luggage last night, Kate started throwing up.  It continued every twenty minutes throughout the night.  Finally at 3 a.m., we accepted there was no way Kate could fly.  So I decided to go without her.  But the pit in my stomach told me I couldn't leave her.  This is our third time to cancel our Houston trip.  Before it was because of Maggie's hydocephalus.

So the whole family is disappointed.  Davey and Josie were ecstatic to be babysat by neighbors, watch movies with Dad and have a sleepover with Nana and Pa.  When I got Davey off the bus, he said, "Oh man, I want you to go now."

Why do these things happen?  There's certainly much worse in life.  But being bummed is being bummed.  Whether it's because you were outbid on a real estate offer, you got a bad haircut, your vacation gets cancelled, or your child needs brain surgery.  It's all a bunch of blaah mixed with really?!

Confucius Kate said it best this morning.  "Dad, sometimes Heavenly Father has a plan we just don't understand."  Then she concluded, "This is the worst day of my life."  Honestly, I think this is the most disappointed Kate has felt.  It outshines her 6th birthday when she got a brand new tea set.  Hours later Josie shattered it on the back patio.

No playing in the spring weather for us, just lots of movie watching.

Comments

  1. NOOOOO!!!!!! This just breaks my heart. You have got to be kidding me?! We talked with Kate just last night about how excited she was to go. Ugh. Life just stinks sometimes. I love Kate's perspective. She is an old soul that one! Sending lots of hugs and well wishes all your way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. :( Im bummed out for you guys! Its always frustrating when you try to plan something fun and it doesnt work out. My husband and I keep trying to get away for a weekend. The first time he lost his job the 2nd time I got meningitis. Im scared to plan anything now. I think we just need to be more spontanious, but thats hard with 4 kiddos. Hugs!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Maggie looking at you in this picture!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you guys get feeling better. No fun at all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh man. That really stinks. Kate amazes me everytime I am around her and everytime you talk about her. Such an old soul in such a young body. I am truly grateful that her and Abbi are friends. Hoping some of that wisdom will rub off on my girl. :) Hope your family finds health!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, sad! I know how excited you all were for this trip. Love her! What 8-year-old says that?! She's amazing!

    And that picture of Maggie--too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so sorry about your trip. Poor Kate. I hope she feels better soon! She is one amazing kid--I can't believe her perspective on life. It shows what great parents she has, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. SO SAD! That Kate is one smart little girl! She has a better attitude than I would/do. LIfe has sooooo many curve balls. But as always you lift my spirit by your amazing example. I really hope that the next time you vacation will go smoothly for you!
    So Sorry...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Building a Utah Valley Parade of Home

Our home is complete (mostly), and we are thrilled!  It makes my heart flutter every time we pull up. This home is the fulfillment of a dream, full of beauty and accommodation.  Davey zooms up and down the ramps with freedom.  We all have our "favorite parts" of the home, and I can't narrow mine down to one.

The Parade of Homes is happening now, and every day I get questions from friends, family and strangers asking about the parade process and where we purchased things.  I'll answer some of them on the blog.  Keep in mind, this is just our experience.  I'm sure it is different for everyone.

Why did we build a parade home?  ·Some of the subcontractors offered a discount price because their products or work would be featured.  It doesn’t necessarily mean it is cheaper to build a parade home, but it is possible to get more for your money.  For example, appliances.  We wouldn’t normally buy Bosch appliances, but with parade discounts the fancier appliances were the …

Surgery and Nursery

Can't sleep.  Spina bifida does that sometimes!  On Tuesday Davey will have surgery at Shriners Hospital.  Some call the surgery a bilateral tibial rotational osteotomy.   I refer to it as fixing the feet forward.  Here's how he walks now.  See how he trips on his feet because they turn inward.  That's a result of being born with clubbed feet.  Hopefully in two months after his casts have been removed, his feet will face forward.   This is Davey's 8th surgery (I think).  It's difficult to know how he processes the thoughts of surgery.   He is most excited to have a slumber party with his dad at the hospital, and for his Papa from Texas to come and sword fight with him.  It's been a long time since Matt and I had one of our kiddos in an operating room...over a year.  I've appreciated the break and pray the doctors will have skill, wisdom, compassion and clarity as they care for my little boy.  
My heart is really heavy concerning Maggie.  Spina bifida does …

Cross-eyed Cuteness

Written by Matt.

We've had lots of appointments this week.

Thursday:  Millie and Maggie went to the Primary Children's in Riverton for an ultrasound on the kidneys and brain for Maggie.  Everything looked good. 
Friday:  Maggie's first follow up since her shunt surgery.  To us, she seems to be doing quite well except for her eyes crossing.  But as soon as the neurosurgeons saw Maggie, they said she needed to get an MRI.  He felt that it was urgent enough to do the scan that same day, but Millie was too sick to stay at the hospital and was lucky to drive home without crashing.  If you’ve never heard Millie crow up,  you’re missing out (it’s a mix between coughing and throwing up).  And we did an ultrasound on Davey's kidneys that day.  
Saturday:  The MRI.  Millie was still too sick to go to the hospital, so just Maggie and I went.  Maggie was charming as usual even on the required empty stomach and made instant friends with all the nurses and technicians.  I stayed wi…