Skip to main content

Trip to the Hospital

Saturday night I started having contractions. They were longer and harder than normal. I doubled my anti-contraction medication, but the pain kept coming. So we faced the dilemma so many prego moms wonder. Go to the hospital or not? The rule from my docs is four or more contractions an hour equals a trip to the doctor. That's not many contractions, but I followed the rules, phoned the on-call doctor, had a neighbor come over to the house, and then headed to University on Utah Hospital. I really do not like that place, but we have to go there since me and the baby are high risk.

Instead of just monitoring contractions and the baby's heart rate, they immediately admitted me.  It was overkill. Then the nurse said, "Okay, we're gonna need an IV and labs drawn." That's when I got testy. I told them I didn't want any of that done until my contractions were monitored for a time, and I had seen a doctor. Long story short...I was having regular contractions, but after running a test and checking my cervix, they determined I wasn't in labor. Hallelujah!

We got home around 4 a.m. Kate woke up an hour later with a bloody nose. Then Davey crawled in our room at six ready to start the day! Thank goodness my sister picked up the kids and took them for the day. I slept a few more hours while Matt headed to church.   He had ward conference, a ward split and a long night of meetings, finally arriving home at ten last night. I don't know how he kept his eyes open.

Bed rest is blah, but I'm glad to sit around at home and not in the hospital!


Comments

  1. Ugh, glad she decided not to come. We pray for you guys every day, if not multiple times a day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lets keep Maggie body-incubated a little longer But so glad you took the precautions. What great neighbors you have! YAY for Matt...aka cook, dish washer, blood blotter, contraction counter, and Millie's super man.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Millie--my due date is August 13th and I think about you as each week passes. Cross your legs sister and hope for a full term little girl:-) We love you guys!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Building a Utah Valley Parade of Home

Our home is complete (mostly), and we are thrilled!  It makes my heart flutter every time we pull up. This home is the fulfillment of a dream, full of beauty and accommodation.  Davey zooms up and down the ramps with freedom.  We all have our "favorite parts" of the home, and I can't narrow mine down to one.

The Parade of Homes is happening now, and every day I get questions from friends, family and strangers asking about the parade process and where we purchased things.  I'll answer some of them on the blog.  Keep in mind, this is just our experience.  I'm sure it is different for everyone.

Why did we build a parade home?  ·Some of the subcontractors offered a discount price because their products or work would be featured.  It doesn’t necessarily mean it is cheaper to build a parade home, but it is possible to get more for your money.  For example, appliances.  We wouldn’t normally buy Bosch appliances, but with parade discounts the fancier appliances were the …

Cross-eyed Cuteness

Written by Matt.

We've had lots of appointments this week.

Thursday:  Millie and Maggie went to the Primary Children's in Riverton for an ultrasound on the kidneys and brain for Maggie.  Everything looked good. 
Friday:  Maggie's first follow up since her shunt surgery.  To us, she seems to be doing quite well except for her eyes crossing.  But as soon as the neurosurgeons saw Maggie, they said she needed to get an MRI.  He felt that it was urgent enough to do the scan that same day, but Millie was too sick to stay at the hospital and was lucky to drive home without crashing.  If you’ve never heard Millie crow up,  you’re missing out (it’s a mix between coughing and throwing up).  And we did an ultrasound on Davey's kidneys that day.  
Saturday:  The MRI.  Millie was still too sick to go to the hospital, so just Maggie and I went.  Maggie was charming as usual even on the required empty stomach and made instant friends with all the nurses and technicians.  I stayed wi…

Surgery and Nursery

Can't sleep.  Spina bifida does that sometimes!  On Tuesday Davey will have surgery at Shriners Hospital.  Some call the surgery a bilateral tibial rotational osteotomy.   I refer to it as fixing the feet forward.  Here's how he walks now.  See how he trips on his feet because they turn inward.  That's a result of being born with clubbed feet.  Hopefully in two months after his casts have been removed, his feet will face forward.   This is Davey's 8th surgery (I think).  It's difficult to know how he processes the thoughts of surgery.   He is most excited to have a slumber party with his dad at the hospital, and for his Papa from Texas to come and sword fight with him.  It's been a long time since Matt and I had one of our kiddos in an operating room...over a year.  I've appreciated the break and pray the doctors will have skill, wisdom, compassion and clarity as they care for my little boy.  
My heart is really heavy concerning Maggie.  Spina bifida does …