Skip to main content

My Ecosystem

Baby Maggie is doing well.  Nothing of concern at our ultrasound on Friday.  We go back again next week.  The doctors want us to continue with weekly appointments.  As the uterus grows, so do the risks for preterm labor.  We've made it to week 30!  The average length of gestation for a mom who has the surgery is 34 weeks.

I watched part of the Children's Miracle Network telethon yesterday.  Those stories make me tear up and put life in perspective!  We love Primary Children's Hospital and also Children's Memorial Hermann Hospital in Houston.  They are miracle workers!

I went to church today with the kids for the first time in...well, probably months.  Matt goes to church meetings early in the morning, so I had a friend come over and help us.  She did the girls hair, made waffles, washed dishes and got everything ready for church. Then we loaded up the wheel chairs and headed out.  

Sitting in the congregation reminded me of a devotional that Elder Marlin K. Jensen gave last month.  He talked about the Sacred Grove.  One of the lessons the Sacred Grove teaches is that trees are best grown in forests, not isolation.  The grove is an ecosystem of flowers, bushes, trees, fungi, birds, rodents and other creations.  They all rely on one another.  Elder Jensen says, "God's plan for our lives contemplates a similar interconnectedness and sociality.  We are to work out our salvation together, not in isolation."  I'm grateful to belong to an ecosystem (my ward) where much is given and much is expected.  It's what makes it a sacred place of growth and learning.

Photo
My brother, Brigham, took this picture of the Sacred Grove.

Comments

  1. Anyone would LOVE to be part of your ecosystem! Glad things are going well...keep it up baby Maggie!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tell your friend great job on the girls' hair. And Kate's testimony was awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad things are doing well. You & your family are still in our prayers. Camron is always coming home from your ward telling me how cool and amazing the ward is. I am glad they are there to take care of you. What a beautiful picture your borther took of the Scared Grove. It is a lovely place to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That must have been a wonderful devotional--it's a very lovely thought to ponder. Too often we feel alone (I know I do), but we're really not.

    I'm so glad that Maggie is doing well! I think of you often!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing a gospel perspective that I've never thought of. I love when people share what they've learned through the Spirit.
    Yeah! 30 weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your family with all my Heart!! What you are doing is challenging, but you all will come through this triumphant!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

She's Here!

The c-section went beautifully, Maggie was delivered at 10:17. She's 6 lbs 13 oz and has a smattering of Davey's hair, my chin, Millie's voice, Kate's ears, and Josie's temperament. Her lungs seem pretty immature so she's in the Newborn ICU for now. Millie is back in her pre-op room and has not yet been able to really see Maggie. Immediately after delivering her the doctors whisked Maggie into the NICU in the adjoining room. I've been able to see her in there and have shown Millie the pictures. The lesion on her back looks good--it looks like a patch of skin covering what used to be the hole that was there. Her feet don't have any noticeable clubbing and she definitely has more sensation there than Davey did. We are so grateful that she is here.     Posted with Blogsy

Flippidy Floo Flah Folic

Last time I was at Shriners, one of the doctors asked if I had checked my folic acid levels after having Davey.  I responded that I'd never heard of anything like that and had not checked them.  The doctor then proceeded to say she had spoken with a geneticist about our family...two kids with spina bifida.  The geneticist said that I most likely don't metabolize folic acid properly, so that's why my last two children have spina bifida.  In summary, they thought that if I had checked my folic acid levels after Davey, I would have seen that something was wrong and could have prevented Maggie from having spina bifida.  As I listened to these burning words, I thought, "Do you know what you're saying?"  I turned away, bounced with Maggie, and wiped my tears. I'm often asked about folic acid.  It's an integral part of spina bifida prevention , and I should lecture about how everyone should take their folic pills.   But I'm not in t...

New Look, New Outlook

Maggie's a little perplexed with her new accessory.  She does not like them and has cried a lot today.  Luckily, her developmental delay means she doesn't grab at objects, so the glasses stay put...bonus!  After picking up the glasses, we ran some errands.  Davey with his wheel chair, Josie with her bright lipstick that she's not supposed to wear in public, and now Maggie with her goggles. Get used to the stares.