Skip to main content

Building a Utah Valley Parade of Home


Our home is complete (mostly), and we are thrilled!  It makes my heart flutter every time we pull up. This home is the fulfillment of a dream, full of beauty and accommodation.  Davey zooms up and down the ramps with freedom.  We all have our "favorite parts" of the home, and I can't narrow mine down to one.

The Parade of Homes is happening now, and every day I get questions from friends, family and strangers asking about the parade process and where we purchased things.  I'll answer some of them on the blog.  Keep in mind, this is just our experience.  I'm sure it is different for everyone.

Why did we build a parade home? 
·         Some of the subcontractors offered a discount price because their products or work would be featured.  It doesn’t necessarily mean it is cheaper to build a parade home, but it is possible to get more for your money.  For example, appliances.  We wouldn’t normally buy Bosch appliances, but with parade discounts the fancier appliances were the same as what we would have purchased at Home Depot.   I’m a bargain shopper, so not all contractors worked out this way.  When we went to the showroom to pick out tile and carpet, it was too pricey, and I did not like the selection.  So I purchased those products at several different places that did not always offer parade discounts, but it was still cheaper and I was not limited by one showroom's selection.  

Accessible sink in the kitchen
          A couple of years ago, a builder approached me about building a wheelchair accessible parade home, but I didn’t like the style, price, or lot location of that builder.   Ever since then, I toyed with the idea of how nice it would be to feature a home that was accessible for children.   As a Realtor, I’ve walked through many homes that are wheelchair accessible.   Typically it is the master bathroom that is accessible, and the other bathrooms are "normal".  I've never seen the floor plan that I was looking for that had an accessible jack-and-jill bathroom.  The parade was a way to showcase that a home can be accessible and beautiful at the same time.  Ramps do not have to be an eyesore. The parade is supposed to be a way to save money, but it didn't end up that way in the end.

Love that girl, and ramp!
The parade also provides a real deadline.  We all know that when a builder says, “Plan on your house being done in June", you'll finally get keys in August.  It was a miracle we made our deadline.  Our equity loan to get the construction loan took way too long which stressed our already tight deadline.   Then different contractors wouldn’t show up.  Over and over this would happen.  Things were still being installed and touched-up even after the parade.

 
Who designed your home?
·         Inouye Design was our architect.  They took our ideas, sketches, and files of saved floor plans, to create the Killpack Residence.  They created something better than I could have imagined, and I absolutely love our layout, inside and out.  The home fits our needs and wants.

        Picking options for the home was like a full-time job.  I think many people who build a parade home use a professional designer; we did not.  Osmond Design staged the home which means that
before the parade starts, they move in beautiful furniture and decor.  They did not design or pick options for the home though.  I had many sleepless nights when I wished Joanna Gaines would appear and help me decide between...black or charcoal, horizontal or vertical, wood or metal, brick or shiplap, pewter or nickel.  She never came, so I relied on my stylish husband, parents, and sister.  Matt’s choices were typically dictated by, “What’s the price?”  My sister would say, “This is a forever house so do it right the first time.”  And my parents spent countless hours shopping with me.  We made a great design team, and I think our plaque should be on the kitchen counter during the parade!   

·        Do you get to keep the furniture?
·         Sure, if we pay for it.  The home is staged with darling Magnolia Furniture, and I might purchase a few items.   Do we get a discount?  Yep, 10%.  Fancy!  Therefore, I look forward to piecing our house together with décor and furniture we find.  Besides, yard sales, scratch and dents, closeouts, obscure warehouses, and KSL have always been my style.  I believe personality in a home is made, not staged. 

Why don’t you have an elevator?
·         Costs too much.  Davey and Maggie can crawl up and down stairs, so they can use the basement.  I want them to still get the exercise and have the skills to use the stairs.  This house allows them to have all their needs on the main level.  If we need to install an elevator in the future, we can.

How do you feel about people walking through?
          I hope when people walk through our home, they feel welcome and want to stay a little longer.  The home is open, inviting, full of light, and casual without any formal living or dining spaces.  It's not over the top with elaborate options that make you think, "people live like this?!"  
     
      I see pics of our house on Instagram and Facebook.  Some people really hate our kitchen back splash which I totally get.   I’ve never been one to play it safe, and I understand it will be dated in a few years.  Good thing I love to change things up!  We walked through our house the other day during “parade hours”.  One lady was jostling the barn doors open and shut.  She said laughingly, “Oops, I think I broke them.”  Sigh.  The carpet already looks matted and dingy, but maybe it's just my paranoia. Yesterday, I worried as it rained all day, and I hoped the booties didn't have holes in them. 



Comments

  1. Love! I want to walk thru when you have YOUR stuff in it. I love your style.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Emily! Can you do your own parade of your home after you move in?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I was most surprised by the way people behaved, or didn't behave! Some thing still amaze me. I finally got to start touring some homes today and I found myself thinking this is someone's dream don't ruin that for them. Still as I watched and listened to others I felt sad. I am anxious to finally get to see your home but more excited for the next four days to be over for you. I am still sad you will be leaving our area but very excited for your family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello My name is Amanda Stansel. I found your blog through a Facebook post of my friend Shelly Burr. Shelly is in my ward. Yes I am a Mormon! We have a lot in common! I have a son with Spina Bifida and he was delivered at Memorial Hermann Children's hospital in Houston a year ago. We went to the fetal center while I was pregnant with my son and saw Dr. Moise, but I wasn't a candidate for the fetal surgery. We see a lot of Memorial Hermann doctors, including Dr. Fletcher ( I laughed when you said he was a character!). I read a lot of your blog. I also have a blog too. You can read about my story at stanseljourney.blogspot.com. I don't know if Shelly told you anything about us, but she has been a great resource regarding Spina Bifida. Anyway, I would love to be friends on Facebook. Its always nice to have friends that have so much in common. Also I see you have a love for Naartjie clothes too! I have 3 daughters some of whom have some Naartjie. You can also email me at stanseljourney@gmail.com.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Shunt Happens

On Thursday night, I couldn't get rid of a nagging concern.  Maggie's eyes were sunsetting.  This is where the  eyes turn downward with the white showing above.  It wasn't constant, and she wasn't showing the typical signs associated with brain swelling.  But the Spirit just kept working at me, and I decided to call the neurosurgeon at Primary Childrens.  He wasn't too concerned and told me to come on Friday for spina bifida clinic.  Once there, the doctor thought it was nothing because Maggie's fontanelle (soft spot) was still soft and of course Maggie wasn't sunsetting for him.  But I didn't want to go to Houston next week until I knew for sure she was okay.  So he ordered a head ultrasound.  Sure enough, the ultrasound showed significant swelling in the ventricles of  her brain.  A shunt is needed. Poor Maggie. I hate to see her go through another surgery.  When I'm at the docs office and get bad news,  I try to act brave and wait until the car r

Curve Ball

Maggie is out of surgery. Things did not go as planned. As the doctor put it, "she threw us for several curve balls." We could not do the ETV. Once in her brain, he discovered that it would be too risky to proceed because of her anatomy. From what we remember, her pituitary was too close to an artery. As they were pulling out, a blood vessel burst. They had to get that bleeding under control before sewing up that side of her head and cutting open the opposite side for a shunt. That's when the neurosurgeon called us to tell us the disappointing news that the ETV wouldn't work. He said he'd come back to visit us in 45 minutes once the shunt was placed. We always knew this was a possibility, but were told her anatomy was "perfect" for the ETV. Guess you can't judge a book by its cover, even with an MRI. Shunt surgeries are common, and it is rare to have serious complications. But two agonizing hours later, we were told what happened. Duri

She's Here!

The c-section went beautifully, Maggie was delivered at 10:17. She's 6 lbs 13 oz and has a smattering of Davey's hair, my chin, Millie's voice, Kate's ears, and Josie's temperament. Her lungs seem pretty immature so she's in the Newborn ICU for now. Millie is back in her pre-op room and has not yet been able to really see Maggie. Immediately after delivering her the doctors whisked Maggie into the NICU in the adjoining room. I've been able to see her in there and have shown Millie the pictures. The lesion on her back looks good--it looks like a patch of skin covering what used to be the hole that was there. Her feet don't have any noticeable clubbing and she definitely has more sensation there than Davey did. We are so grateful that she is here.     Posted with Blogsy