Skip to main content

School Bus Hero

For the past two years, Davey rode a special needs bus to preschool.  The bus picked him up right in front of our house, had a ramp for his wheelchair, and an aid to help make transportation a breeze.  This year Davey wanted to ride the bus with his friends and sisters.  It's not been easy, but he loves it.  Here's an excerpt from an email that my dad wrote to our extended family about Davey's first bus ride to school. My dad has the ability to say how I feel better than I do.

I just got off the phone with Millie.  Our last few phone conversations have been focused on a mother's concerns as her child goes to school - really goes to school.  This morning's send off to kindergarten was an event she found quite difficult. Had she done all she could do for Davey?  How would he manage? Would he feel different?  What would the stairs/stares be like?  Would he feel lonely?  Lots of mixed feelings. 
`
Davey waited outside on the front steps for twenty minutes before Millie drove him and his sisters to the bus stop.  When Davey and the girls arrived at the stop where several other kids were waiting, there was a big kid, a sixth grader, named Hunter.  He shouted, "Davey! Davey! Are you really in kindergarten?  You're riding on the same bus with me!  Will you sit with me?"  Hunter told Millie that he could and would carry Davey to his classroom if she told him which kindergarten room it was. Millie explained that the school would have wheelchair waiting for him. "Great!  Then I can push him to his class, OK?"  At this point, big sisters Kate and Josie said they could do it, feeling a little territorial, protective and maybe a little envious of the attention there brother received. 

The front of the bus was already full and Davey looked how far he would have to navigate down the isle.  The cool, older boys and girls at the rear of the bus called "Davey, come and sit with us!"  That sixth grade boy was so caring, so helpful, and Davey felt welcomed by the whole school bus crowd.  

Millie managed to control her emotions and felt such gratitude.  She later found out that it was Hunter's birthday, but he wasn't concerned with birthday gifts and well wishes, just Davey's well-being.  Millie said, "Dad, I learned again who's son Davey really is; Heavenly Father has in place the right people to bless the life of OUR kindergarten son.  I don't need to worry.  He will be watched over."

My hero, Hunter, is next to Kate in navy blue.





Comments

  1. How did I not hear about this story until just now?! That is just the sweetest most awesome thing ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know how I didn't tell you. I would typically knock on your door immediately after such an event.

      Delete
  2. Wow. What sweet kids! So happy for Davey- and for you. There is nothing like that sweet relief. Love you friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Thx Emily. And thanks for believing in Realtor painting advice :)

      Delete
  4. SO FANTASTIC!!! Thanks for sharing, Millie! I love that you're surrounded by people who really LOVE.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am surrounded by great people. Seriously, it's not just Hunter, but all the kids who roam my neighborhood streets. How did we get so lucky!! Hope you are doing well. Thanks for staying in touch.

      Delete
  5. Millie, I read this to my family...they have a special place for you and your family....and how you took care of us with mom's house...I KNEW he would do great!!! I am so glad that Hunter is in Davey's life....bless you all <3
    Kerry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Miss Kerry! I've missed you terribly. You are a calming, loving, knowledgeable, and fun teacher. I think about you often and can't thank you enough for giving Davey the confidence to do hard things and have fun while doing it. Your classroom was his launch pad. I hope you are having a good year. Much love! Tell Mallorie hello for me.

      Delete
  6. IT IS Actually Very Useful FOR ME.I LIKE YOUR Put up Because IT IS Quite Useful FOR ME AS Nicely. HOPING THE Identical Greatest Work IN THE UP COMING Days ALSO. THANK YOU!
    san jose shuttle

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm covered in goose bumps (that's how I know I'm feeling the spirit). I'm so grateful for people like Hunter in this world. Davey sounds like such an awesome young man. Yay for them both! This is such a beautiful story, thank you so much for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We are so grateful for big boys who care and parents who teach.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Shunt Happens

On Thursday night, I couldn't get rid of a nagging concern.  Maggie's eyes were sunsetting.  This is where the  eyes turn downward with the white showing above.  It wasn't constant, and she wasn't showing the typical signs associated with brain swelling.  But the Spirit just kept working at me, and I decided to call the neurosurgeon at Primary Childrens.  He wasn't too concerned and told me to come on Friday for spina bifida clinic.  Once there, the doctor thought it was nothing because Maggie's fontanelle (soft spot) was still soft and of course Maggie wasn't sunsetting for him.  But I didn't want to go to Houston next week until I knew for sure she was okay.  So he ordered a head ultrasound.  Sure enough, the ultrasound showed significant swelling in the ventricles of  her brain.  A shunt is needed. Poor Maggie. I hate to see her go through another surgery.  When I'm at the docs office and get bad news,  I try to act brave and wait until the car r

Curve Ball

Maggie is out of surgery. Things did not go as planned. As the doctor put it, "she threw us for several curve balls." We could not do the ETV. Once in her brain, he discovered that it would be too risky to proceed because of her anatomy. From what we remember, her pituitary was too close to an artery. As they were pulling out, a blood vessel burst. They had to get that bleeding under control before sewing up that side of her head and cutting open the opposite side for a shunt. That's when the neurosurgeon called us to tell us the disappointing news that the ETV wouldn't work. He said he'd come back to visit us in 45 minutes once the shunt was placed. We always knew this was a possibility, but were told her anatomy was "perfect" for the ETV. Guess you can't judge a book by its cover, even with an MRI. Shunt surgeries are common, and it is rare to have serious complications. But two agonizing hours later, we were told what happened. Duri

She's Here!

The c-section went beautifully, Maggie was delivered at 10:17. She's 6 lbs 13 oz and has a smattering of Davey's hair, my chin, Millie's voice, Kate's ears, and Josie's temperament. Her lungs seem pretty immature so she's in the Newborn ICU for now. Millie is back in her pre-op room and has not yet been able to really see Maggie. Immediately after delivering her the doctors whisked Maggie into the NICU in the adjoining room. I've been able to see her in there and have shown Millie the pictures. The lesion on her back looks good--it looks like a patch of skin covering what used to be the hole that was there. Her feet don't have any noticeable clubbing and she definitely has more sensation there than Davey did. We are so grateful that she is here.     Posted with Blogsy