Skip to main content

Happy Birthday, My Girl

I love to read.  In much the way that a certain song or fragrance will elicit memories of a stage of life or a super cool moment at a high school dance, I have books seared into my memory from the moments in time when I was reading them.  



When Kate was born, I was reading a book about cryptography.  Josie was born unexpectedly premature the week before Christmas.  Life was so scattered with her arrival and Christmas that I didn’t have time for reading.  I do recall that the scriptural story of Christ’s birth held special significance for me that year as I held my newborn baby.  With Davey, I was reading E. L. Konigsburg’s The View from Saturday.  The book uses a 6th grade academic competition as the backdrop for the coming together of four special students and their teacher.  The teacher is returning to the profession after a ten year absence due to a car accident that confined her to a wheelchair.  

Now, I’ve seen enough X-Files to know that in rare cases, through the process of psychic transference, mental touchstones can cross interdimensional boundaries and a symbiotic positronic interface can occur.  I think that happened with our kids.  Maybe what I read affects how they act and what they think.  It’s  possible.  Books allow you to flip a few pages ahead to get a sneak peak at what's coming.   But the chapters of life don’t always unfold as smoothly.  A year ago Maggie entered our lives and completed our family.  She continues to amaze and delight us.  Life is good, though not without challenges.  We learned a few months ago that Maggie has an abnormally underdeveloped cerebellum.  



The cerebellum is involved with maintenance of balance and posture, coordination of voluntary movements, motor learning, and cognitive functions.  Many of the significant delays that Maggie is experiencing are likely related to the functioning of her cerebellum.  We are hopeful that over time she will learn how to compensate, but she may not.  Either way, life is still good.  We don’t really dwell too much on these things because we can’t change them, and because setbacks and challenges don’t define us.  We see the progress that Maggie is making over time and with her team of expert sibling-therapists (thanks Davey, Josie, and Kate) we know that she’ll continue to grow and progress and live her right life.  A day or two after Davey was born I finished The View from Saturday.  I happened to glance at the dedication page and saw this message from the author:



Her words to her David brought me a lot of comfort and peace as I contemplated my Davey's future path. Now, five years later, I can't imagine a better life.  When Millie came out of surgery in Houston and all had gone well, the nurse coordinator gave me a big hug and said, "God is good."  She was so right.  Happy Birthday my Mags!
God is good.
We spent most of her birthday running errands,
and at Shriners Hospital.  Cheerful as ever with her new toy!
I just couldn't end this entry without celebrating all of you!  Millie wanted to throw a huge party for Maggie and invite everyone we knew to thank them.  Then I talked her down and instead, when we go to bed tonight, we will thank the Lord for our Maggie and our dear friends and family.  We love you.

Comments

  1. Thank YOU for sharing your family with us! I love reading about you guys and miss you so much even though you are so close. Happy Birthday Maggie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday sweet Maggie girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hard to believe it's been a year! I loved your post...although the 3rd paragraph has me a little stumped. Love you, Maggie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. She is so beautiful! Happy Birthday Maggie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know if we will ever come and stay at your house again. We are all getting too big. It makes me want to cry to see your family growing up without us. The challenges you face are no match for the noble spirits you all are. It is obvious to me from your post that you are being refined while I am still having the sharp corners knocked off. I wish . . . I wish . . . but you have everything you need, and right now I am just glad you share it with the rest of us. Thanks, Matt. And Happy Birthday to Maggie.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Shunt Happens

On Thursday night, I couldn't get rid of a nagging concern.  Maggie's eyes were sunsetting.  This is where the  eyes turn downward with the white showing above.  It wasn't constant, and she wasn't showing the typical signs associated with brain swelling.  But the Spirit just kept working at me, and I decided to call the neurosurgeon at Primary Childrens.  He wasn't too concerned and told me to come on Friday for spina bifida clinic.  Once there, the doctor thought it was nothing because Maggie's fontanelle (soft spot) was still soft and of course Maggie wasn't sunsetting for him.  But I didn't want to go to Houston next week until I knew for sure she was okay.  So he ordered a head ultrasound.  Sure enough, the ultrasound showed significant swelling in the ventricles of  her brain.  A shunt is needed. Poor Maggie. I hate to see her go through another surgery.  When I'm at the docs office and get bad news,  I try to act brave and wait until the car r

Curve Ball

Maggie is out of surgery. Things did not go as planned. As the doctor put it, "she threw us for several curve balls." We could not do the ETV. Once in her brain, he discovered that it would be too risky to proceed because of her anatomy. From what we remember, her pituitary was too close to an artery. As they were pulling out, a blood vessel burst. They had to get that bleeding under control before sewing up that side of her head and cutting open the opposite side for a shunt. That's when the neurosurgeon called us to tell us the disappointing news that the ETV wouldn't work. He said he'd come back to visit us in 45 minutes once the shunt was placed. We always knew this was a possibility, but were told her anatomy was "perfect" for the ETV. Guess you can't judge a book by its cover, even with an MRI. Shunt surgeries are common, and it is rare to have serious complications. But two agonizing hours later, we were told what happened. Duri

She's Here!

The c-section went beautifully, Maggie was delivered at 10:17. She's 6 lbs 13 oz and has a smattering of Davey's hair, my chin, Millie's voice, Kate's ears, and Josie's temperament. Her lungs seem pretty immature so she's in the Newborn ICU for now. Millie is back in her pre-op room and has not yet been able to really see Maggie. Immediately after delivering her the doctors whisked Maggie into the NICU in the adjoining room. I've been able to see her in there and have shown Millie the pictures. The lesion on her back looks good--it looks like a patch of skin covering what used to be the hole that was there. Her feet don't have any noticeable clubbing and she definitely has more sensation there than Davey did. We are so grateful that she is here.     Posted with Blogsy