Skip to main content

Urabus

I just saw a Subaru commercial.  Reminds me, I should write about the Urabus (Subaru backwards).  It's pronounced, "Your-a-bus", and that's what Matt and I call Subarus.  Before I dive into this topic, I should just say that Matt and I drive boring, cheap, frumpy cars.  Nothing cool about our Caravan and Mitsubishi.  I've never had a sweet car.  Even in high school I drove my parents purple minivan.  So yes, I wonder what it would be like to drive a hip car.  But that's not going to happen.  Have you ever seen the vans made for wheelchairs...not hip.

When Davey was born, Matt and I became frequent drivers of Foothill Drive, otherwise known as Subaru Drive.  This stretch of road is the path to the University of Utah, Red Butte Gardens, Hogle Zoo, Stein Mart, and Primary Children's Hospital.  We are always amused by the number of Subarus on this road.  It's rare to see a white Honda Odyssey (Utah's state car).  Instead, dozens of Subarus converge on this road.   Skiers, doctors, students, Sugar House trend setters...all driving Subarus.  During one trip up to the hospital, Matt and I decided to document all the Subarus.  I snapped away on my camera, trying to focus as the cars zipped by.  I missed so many.  But here are some shots from ONE TRIP.  Are we the only ones to notice this?










Comments

  1. That's really funny. I would have never noticed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is it pronounced "your a bus" or "you're a bus?" I need to keep these things straight!

    ~Randy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have noticed lots of Subarus up around the U campus, but have never paid attention to the number. I can't believe you saw that many in one trip!

    Natalie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok so I just came on your blog from Facebook and I had to comment... Andy and I have done this same thing on this exact same road. We do it every time we are in the area. We don't take pictures, we just count and see how many Subarus we can find. Sometimes we even compete and see who can see the most. So funny!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We'll have to be on the lookout during out next trek up that way. Hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. See Millie all of those "I spy with my little eye...."games between Texas and Utah have paid off.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have a very keen eye, Millie! I’m so amused with the photos. It seemed like in every turn, there’s a Subaru. I can’t help it, but their slogan keeps blowing on my mind: “The world’s favorite four wheel drive”. It surely is my favorite.

    Leisa Dreps

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

She's Here!

The c-section went beautifully, Maggie was delivered at 10:17. She's 6 lbs 13 oz and has a smattering of Davey's hair, my chin, Millie's voice, Kate's ears, and Josie's temperament. Her lungs seem pretty immature so she's in the Newborn ICU for now. Millie is back in her pre-op room and has not yet been able to really see Maggie. Immediately after delivering her the doctors whisked Maggie into the NICU in the adjoining room. I've been able to see her in there and have shown Millie the pictures. The lesion on her back looks good--it looks like a patch of skin covering what used to be the hole that was there. Her feet don't have any noticeable clubbing and she definitely has more sensation there than Davey did. We are so grateful that she is here.     Posted with Blogsy

Flippidy Floo Flah Folic

Last time I was at Shriners, one of the doctors asked if I had checked my folic acid levels after having Davey.  I responded that I'd never heard of anything like that and had not checked them.  The doctor then proceeded to say she had spoken with a geneticist about our family...two kids with spina bifida.  The geneticist said that I most likely don't metabolize folic acid properly, so that's why my last two children have spina bifida.  In summary, they thought that if I had checked my folic acid levels after Davey, I would have seen that something was wrong and could have prevented Maggie from having spina bifida.  As I listened to these burning words, I thought, "Do you know what you're saying?"  I turned away, bounced with Maggie, and wiped my tears. I'm often asked about folic acid.  It's an integral part of spina bifida prevention , and I should lecture about how everyone should take their folic pills.   But I'm not in t...

New Look, New Outlook

Maggie's a little perplexed with her new accessory.  She does not like them and has cried a lot today.  Luckily, her developmental delay means she doesn't grab at objects, so the glasses stay put...bonus!  After picking up the glasses, we ran some errands.  Davey with his wheel chair, Josie with her bright lipstick that she's not supposed to wear in public, and now Maggie with her goggles. Get used to the stares.