Skip to main content

Space Time Continuum Paradoxes



Two years ago today we were in Houston, TEXAS! embarking on a new chapter in our lives.  (Yes, I know I capitalized and exclamation pointed the word in the previous sentence but as we all know, everything associated with that word is bigger, bolder, and begs to be shouted from the rooftops).  At that time our little Maggie was still developing in the womb, Davey had an awkward buzz haircut that showed just a little too much forehead, Josie was enthusiastically enjoying life as a hog-caller-in-training, and Kate reveled in her newly acquired ability to read simple chapter books.  We had experienced a surreal week of preparation, heartache, and joy as everything fell into place for us to move forward with Maggie’s fetal surgery at Children’s Memorial Hermann Hospital.  Two years ago today that surgery was completed by an amazing and awe-inspiring group of miracle workers.  Millie recuperated, Maggie was born, and here we are. 

In some ways, not a lot has changed—Maggie is still developing (thankfully outside of the womb this time), Davey’s hair is a bit longer and he enjoys styling it (he’s no longer allowed to get haircuts from his Dad), Josie’s inherent hog-calling talent has been wasted on singing and yelling funny things at the dinner table, and Kate continues to revel in the fun of reading chapter books.  Of course, there are other ways in which our lives have changed forever.  As we consider the past two years, we look back with intense gratitude.  Life is so good.  We are grateful to have four wonderful, beautiful, unique children.  We are grateful to have incredible family and friends who love us.  We are grateful to feel God’s love for us and recognize His hand in our lives.  If we could go back in time and share some bits of advice with our 2012 selves we would undoubtedly tell ourselves,  "Prepare yourselves for zany Disney songs involving a snowman that you'll never get out of your head, invest in Netflix, and get ready for some of the most amazing years of your lives because it just keeps getting better."

2012 Maggie

2012 Davey
2012 Josie
2012 Kate

2014 Maggie
2014 Davey
2014 Josie
2014 Kate







Comments

  1. Your family inspires me! Thank you for being you and for being so amazing. I hope to be more like you one day. And I love all of the adorable pictures. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh! I can't believe how young they look! What a fun update! We love you all so much!

    The Duvalls

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

She's Here!

The c-section went beautifully, Maggie was delivered at 10:17. She's 6 lbs 13 oz and has a smattering of Davey's hair, my chin, Millie's voice, Kate's ears, and Josie's temperament. Her lungs seem pretty immature so she's in the Newborn ICU for now. Millie is back in her pre-op room and has not yet been able to really see Maggie. Immediately after delivering her the doctors whisked Maggie into the NICU in the adjoining room. I've been able to see her in there and have shown Millie the pictures. The lesion on her back looks good--it looks like a patch of skin covering what used to be the hole that was there. Her feet don't have any noticeable clubbing and she definitely has more sensation there than Davey did. We are so grateful that she is here.     Posted with Blogsy

New Look, New Outlook

Maggie's a little perplexed with her new accessory.  She does not like them and has cried a lot today.  Luckily, her developmental delay means she doesn't grab at objects, so the glasses stay put...bonus!  After picking up the glasses, we ran some errands.  Davey with his wheel chair, Josie with her bright lipstick that she's not supposed to wear in public, and now Maggie with her goggles. Get used to the stares.

Flippidy Floo Flah Folic

Last time I was at Shriners, one of the doctors asked if I had checked my folic acid levels after having Davey.  I responded that I'd never heard of anything like that and had not checked them.  The doctor then proceeded to say she had spoken with a geneticist about our family...two kids with spina bifida.  The geneticist said that I most likely don't metabolize folic acid properly, so that's why my last two children have spina bifida.  In summary, they thought that if I had checked my folic acid levels after Davey, I would have seen that something was wrong and could have prevented Maggie from having spina bifida.  As I listened to these burning words, I thought, "Do you know what you're saying?"  I turned away, bounced with Maggie, and wiped my tears. I'm often asked about folic acid.  It's an integral part of spina bifida prevention , and I should lecture about how everyone should take their folic pills.   But I'm not in t...