Skip to main content

Awareness Month

The month of October is Spina Bifida Awareness Month.  In honor of this grand event, our family has decided to more fully engage in our devotion to spina bifida.  So far, we've been successful.  I think I need to reassess my goals to fit my life.  Instead of becoming thinner, cleaner, or nicer, I should set the following goals:
  • Drive to the hospital daily
  • Give to the pharmacy weekly
  • Attend surgery monthly
  • Lift weights (Davey) thirty times a day
  • Raise blood pressure
  • Call insurance every other day
  • Forget to pick up kids Mon., Thurs.
  • Listen to talk radio 2 hrs/day
  • Cath, enema, and bath children as little as possible
  • Sleep less
Success, I accomplished my goals!

Maggie will have the ETV-CPC surgery tomorrow.  Her ventricles are continuing to grow.  We are hopeful this surgery will work like a shunt but will prevent the need for a shunt.  It's amazing how quickly the treatment for hydrocephalus has changed since Davey was born.  He had a shunt placed just days after being born.  This procedure wasn't an option back then.  Primary Children's is one of a few hospitals in the United States that perform the surgery.  I complain about driving back and forth to Shriners and Primarys, but we are so blessed to live near accomplished and cutting-edge medical care.  

This is Davey a few days after his shunt surgery.  You can see the bump with stitches.  I think Maggie's incision will be in the same spot, but she won't have the large bump and tube down the side of her head.  We took this pic the day Davey was blessed.  We will bless Maggie on October 14th, so she'll be sporting some nice stitches too.  Better find a bow or something.  Although, I'm not sure we want to add weight to an already huge head.  Seriously, she's got a giant head...a virtual planetoid.  Reminds me of this clip from "So I Married an Axe Murderer".  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJ8Rc98Xs20





Comments

  1. I think you need to get t-shirts made to be completely devoted to the cause. And a bumper sticker.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE that movie! Good luck with the surgery. Sweet, little Maggie will be in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Davey looks so sweet! Love you! Good luck tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Prayers for all of you today! I sure hope you have a great case manager at your insurance!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Praying for Maggie today!

    ** I think we all should be more realistic about our goals and applaud ourselves for not being perfect, but perfectly trying! You're amazing! Love ya! ~Sarah

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

She's Here!

The c-section went beautifully, Maggie was delivered at 10:17. She's 6 lbs 13 oz and has a smattering of Davey's hair, my chin, Millie's voice, Kate's ears, and Josie's temperament. Her lungs seem pretty immature so she's in the Newborn ICU for now. Millie is back in her pre-op room and has not yet been able to really see Maggie. Immediately after delivering her the doctors whisked Maggie into the NICU in the adjoining room. I've been able to see her in there and have shown Millie the pictures. The lesion on her back looks good--it looks like a patch of skin covering what used to be the hole that was there. Her feet don't have any noticeable clubbing and she definitely has more sensation there than Davey did. We are so grateful that she is here.     Posted with Blogsy

Flippidy Floo Flah Folic

Last time I was at Shriners, one of the doctors asked if I had checked my folic acid levels after having Davey.  I responded that I'd never heard of anything like that and had not checked them.  The doctor then proceeded to say she had spoken with a geneticist about our family...two kids with spina bifida.  The geneticist said that I most likely don't metabolize folic acid properly, so that's why my last two children have spina bifida.  In summary, they thought that if I had checked my folic acid levels after Davey, I would have seen that something was wrong and could have prevented Maggie from having spina bifida.  As I listened to these burning words, I thought, "Do you know what you're saying?"  I turned away, bounced with Maggie, and wiped my tears. I'm often asked about folic acid.  It's an integral part of spina bifida prevention , and I should lecture about how everyone should take their folic pills.   But I'm not in t...

New Look, New Outlook

Maggie's a little perplexed with her new accessory.  She does not like them and has cried a lot today.  Luckily, her developmental delay means she doesn't grab at objects, so the glasses stay put...bonus!  After picking up the glasses, we ran some errands.  Davey with his wheel chair, Josie with her bright lipstick that she's not supposed to wear in public, and now Maggie with her goggles. Get used to the stares.